Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Impulse buy gone wrong

We should know better than to make an impulse buy like this.

Rob and I were at Target last weekend, when something with a red clearance tag caught our eye. It was a faux leather arm chair recliner with, get this, built-in massagers! Seemed like a great idea to me. And it was marked down to $99. Yes, please.

We've already been talking about possibly getting an arm chair in the dining room, and this had the look we were going for. It is similar to this club chair recliner, which retails for $300.

We brought it home and eagerly opened the box. Disappointment. The box clearly shows a chocolate brown chair, and the description also reads "warm chocolate brown color." But when we opened the box, we saw the fabric was straight-up black. And believe me - we made sure of it. We have both black and brown leather items in our house, so it was easy to compare and see the difference. This chair was NOT brown and therefore didn't match our existing furniture.

So back to the store it went. We didn't even bother to check if it was a mistake or if all of the "warm chocolate brown" chairs are actually black. We decided we really didn't need this wacky massage chair anyway. And incidentally, I can't find this item online anywhere (I wanted to read reviews to make sure the massage motors don't burn out quickly or that there aren't any other known problems to consider).

We usually read reviews and carefully consider every purchase. This time, we let the little red clearance tag sway us from our normal logic.

Lesson learned. No impulse buys.

In other weekend news, I also came down with some type of flu (boo). Hope you're all feeling well and had a better weekend than I did.

Over and out.

7 comments:

Sarah (Mrs. Ruffled Flats) September 20, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Don't you hate that? Sometimes it's fun to get a good deal and to not plan out every purchase, but so many times it doesn't pay off! This has happened to us a few times and some of them we couldn't return! Bummer! I'm glad you could take it back but sorry that the good deal didn't pay off for you guys.

I hope you feel better soon! It's the beginning of flu season in MN. Oh, joy.

Danielle and Clint September 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM

LOL! Silly Target! I tend to buy on impluses also, and sometimes they aren't so bad and end up being my favorite purchases. Don't let this one shoo you away from impluse buying.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno September 20, 2011 at 10:40 PM

That is majorly annoying. I never purchase furniture at Target because I don't like that fake leather stuff they use. Glad you were able to get your money back and get on with your life! HA

Skywaitress September 22, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Bummer. Impulse buying has no middle ground. It's either a giant win or giant fail.

At least Target has basically the easiest return policy ever.

Outdoor kitchen September 23, 2011 at 5:26 AM

Excellent post, one of the few articles I’ve read today that said something unique! One new subscriber

here :)

[url=http://www.relaxocity.com/]Massage Chairs[/url]

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner September 25, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Haha - that stinks! But probably for the best. It's so hard to turn down those clearance stickers... especially at Target! At least it was an easy return.

Midwest Mrs September 27, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Ahhh, the lure of the little red sticker. Dang you Target! I've fallen into that trap many a time. Bummer that it didn't work out! Seems great in theory!

someone else's words

"Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others." - Buddha

© Thanks to Ourblogtemplates.com for providing a great Blogger framework to remix. Hope you don't mind the changes I made.