Saturday, April 2, 2011

Rob's birthday gift

Rob picked out his own birthday gift this year (a hunting rifle or something like that), but I decided to surprise him with a bonus gift. I made him a cookbook of recipes submitted by people who know him.

I called in a favor to all of Rob's contacts, asking them to contribute. I ended up with a book of around 75 recipes from 30+ contributors (including aunts, cousins, grandparents, coworkers, high school friends, and so on). I have to admit, it was pretty sweet to see the recipes come rolling in from Rob's loved ones. It only took each person a few minutes of effort, but once all of the recipes were compiled, it made a great statement about how many people care about Rob and wanted to help make his birthday special.

I made it clear that the recipes didn't have to be extravagant and didn't have to be invented by the submitter. The only criteria is that each recipe had to be something that Rob's friends and family made and enjoyed themselves.

I wound up with a really nice variety. We had Midwest classics like tater tot hot dish and Sloppy Joes alongside Pho, naan, and ginger steak salad.

I used a combination of my own photography and some images found online. I also sprinkled in some quotes about food and food relating to culture and heritage as well as some images of recipes from friends' cookbooks. Then finally I used Blurb.com to design the book and have it printed. I am really happy with how it came out. I also used Blurb to make our wedding album.

Rob seemed really touched by the idea and by the variety of people who participated. He's looking forward to trying everything in the book.

So to our family and friends who helped out - thank you!

And if you'd like to view the book in its entirety, it's online and available for viewing. Just click here and then click on the photo where it says "Preview Book." I recommend clicking on the little icon to view full screen.

8 comments:

Cindy @The Flipping Couple April 2, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Wow, what a fun idea! I love it. So meaningful and useful. Happy Birthday Rob!

LauraC April 3, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Awww, Kristi, that's about the sweetest present I've ever seen. My husband loves to cook (and bake fancy bread) but I've never thought of giving him a cookbook! Your design (layout, pics) looks so professional and great! I think I've mentioned this before but your Wild Rice Chicken soup is one of my favs and a fall/winter staple around here. I may even fix it this week as spring does not seem to want to arrive! There were a bunch of other recipes I'm going to try out as well. Thanks! Laura

juqeludo April 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM

great post as usual!

online pharmacy

Life in Rehab April 7, 2011 at 3:00 PM

What a fantastic idea! I'm stealing this for Sam's birthday, since he's the chef around here.

Trendy Karen April 8, 2011 at 6:55 AM

You're so sweet! I'm sure your hubby is so happy when he received your gift for him. In my fashion trends blog, I also post about food and cooking. By the way, how's your dog Murphy?

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess April 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM

That is such a cool idea! I thought about doing something sort of like this a few years back, but didn't follow through or do any real research about how to have it made. Thank you for reminding me and sharing info about Blurb!

xoxo,
tanja
postmodern hostess

yahadame April 15, 2011 at 5:53 AM

Love your site man keep up the good work

generic nolvadex

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner April 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Wow, that turned out REALLY nice! What a creative idea!

someone else's words

"Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others." - Buddha

© Thanks to Ourblogtemplates.com for providing a great Blogger framework to remix. Hope you don't mind the changes I made.