Friday, January 28, 2011

Home office... now with 200% more cats

This is pretty exciting. We finally have a true home office! After using our microwave cart as a temporary office for a few months (and many neckaches later), we decided it was finally time to bite the bullet and buy a real desk and chair. I wish we'd done this sooner. Check out my swanky new home office (aka one corner of the spare bedroom):

It's a tough room to photograph. I also tried to get photos without Embree and Clyde, but their catness wouldn't allow it.

Trying to act casual

They invaded my space and refused to leave. Cats do not understand boundaries. And they steal your chair when you aren't looking.

Anyway we went with the Liatorp desk from Ikea.

In case you haven't noticed, we are fans of inexpensive Swedish furniture. Actually, although Ikea doesn't have the greatest reputation in terms of quality, there are some rare gems to be found behind those massive blue walls. For example, our Leksvik bed is solid wood (and only $80 on clearance). It's a nice bed.

The Liatorp desk is not solid wood, but it is solid. And heavy. Just ask any wife who had to help carry it in from the truck. It also has some nice detailing with the paneled doors and finished back (so it doesn't have to be butted up against a wall unless you want it to). It actually reminds me a lot of the Pottery Barn Bedford collection (at about 1/3 of the cost).

Best of all, the sides of the desk provide some nice storage. I can actually fit both of my camera bags and all of my gear in the desk. And the chair is also from Ikea, and was pretty reasonably priced ($59) for all of the back support it provides.

Everything else in the room was already there.

"Oh hi!"

Jute rug: Craiglist find ($25)
Curtains: Target ($5)
Bedding set: free (from my sister)
Lamp: Ikea Basisk ($20)
Large mirrors: Ikea clearance 5 or 6 years ago ($10 each)
Bed: Another Craigslist find from a few years ago, don't remember price

Future plans for this room:

• Paint the walls (and spackle over some ugly drywall holes)
  • Make and hang some new artwork
And that's it.

I love my home office. The end.

6 comments:

KT January 28, 2011 at 7:56 AM

I love your new desk! My cat Woods invades my photo shoots all the time but of course when it comes time to actually take a picture of just him, he runs and hides :)

Vonda January 28, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I LOVE it!! I hope they still stock that chair when we finally get enough room for a home office. I have a white desk and that chair would be perfect.
Your kitties are beautful!!

Vonda January 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM

You have an award at my site.
Have a great weekend!
Vonda

Chelsea January 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Looks great! And oh, how I long for an Ikea in the Ikea-less state of Nebraska....

P.S. Cute kitties. ;)

~Chelsea

Carolyn May 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I found your blog randomly when I was searching for some info on the Liatorp desk (which I just bought a bit ago). How do you like the desk chair now that you've had it for a while? Office chairs are SO expensive, and I'd prefer to not spend so much if an Ikea one would provide adequate support... thanks in advance for any feedback!

kristi.w. May 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Carolyn - I love the chair! It's better than my chair at work. I highly recommend it.

someone else's words

"Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others." - Buddha

© Thanks to Ourblogtemplates.com for providing a great Blogger framework to remix. Hope you don't mind the changes I made.