Image source: Liz Noffsinger / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Why I love the 4th of July:
- My smallish home town has a huge parade. It's the biggest parade in the state, actually. Growing up, we'd go the parade every year, and people walking in the parade would toss out candy to those watching. As a kid, this was almost as good as Halloween! I think they quit doing that (for safety reasons, probably).
- Art in the Park. Haven't heard of it? I will fill you in later (with pics).
- Blowing stuff up. It's the most patriotic act of all! Actually I'm not sure where or why the fireworks tradition started, but it's always been a big deal in my area. My home town also did not have fireworks regulations, which made the holiday even more fun. (And probably dangerous... don't worry about it!)
- The air show. We also used to attend this every year when I was a kid. Planes and jets doing tricks and stunts in the air. What's not to like?
- The food! Grilled burgers, corn on the cob, sunflower seeds, chips. The 4th of July tastes delicious.
- Independence seems like a pretty solid concept to celebrate, don't you think?