Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Attic office eye candy (with some help from our readers)

Last Monday, I asked for some inspiration help for our upstairs studio/office. My blogging buddy Jennifer of A Thousand Words (check it out) sent me these. Thanks, Jen! She has even more inspirational photos on her second blog, Inspiration for Decoration. That makes her my hero.

This first room really caught Rob and my interest. We like that there's a long desk in the middle of the room. We didn't think of that. But with odd built-ins and slanted walls, this might be our best option for not blocking our low windows. The desk itself doesn't look like it would be too tough to build. Maybe we will sell our current Ikea Galant desks on craigslist. We got such a great deal on them that we probably won't lose any money.

Source

Our room has almost identical built-in shelves to the room below.

Add ImageSource

Great colors in this room:

Source

This one (below) is probably my favorite. I think our window might be too low to build a desk in front of it, unfortunately. I love everything else about this room. If money were no object, we'd make this happen.

Source

This room is bigger than ours, but I really like the seated window area. We could do something like that for sure.

Another window bench:

Another reader/blogger Kate sent over this video link to an awesome Candice Olson creation. I was pretty amazed by the transformation on this one. Here are some photos, but you really have to check out the video to see all the features.

Kelly (Tearing Up Houses) also shared a pic of her office. I love how she put the desks in front of the window to get maximum light.

Finally, here are some more photos that I had saved on my computer. I believe I swiped these from Sara's blog.

Now I just need to decide what to do. I think a lighter paint color might be in this room's future. And probably the building of a new desk. We'll see.

Got room photos? Send 'em. ... Please.

6 comments:

Kelly@TearingUpHouses May 25, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Your favorite office picture is also my favorite by far -- it's perfectly serene. Love. You could TOTALLY do it on that on a budget. And I don't think it matters that your window is low.

Kelly

p.s. That was a picture of our office before it was finished -- yikes. This is a wee better...

(second picture down)

Sarah @ Dream in Domestic May 25, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I love the idea of having a long desk in the middle of the room. You could do lots with that! Aren't we lucky to have the internet at your fingertips with so many inspiration photos to gain new ideas from? I can't wait to see what you do with it! I love attics (even thoughtthey present difficult challenges)!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno May 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM

No, I like the paint color you have in there already! I think a long white desk would look perfect against the brown paint. Sorry I don't have any pics to share with you, but these are really nice.

Kate @ Domesticating Kate May 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Thanks for the link!

A couple thoughts... Do you think you would have an issue with cords if your desk is in the middle of the room? If you want to go that route, you might want to consider installing an outlet (or two) in the middle of your floor or running the cords under carpet or a rug so you don't end up with a tripping hazard.

I agree with you and Kelly on the favorite look. The wood is beautiful, and you could still put the desk in front of the window if you want.

Can't wait to see what you end up doing!

Alexis L. of One Grand Home May 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Totally agreeing with Kelly@TearingDownHouses. You can do your 'dream' room. If you reduce it to its basics, its a bunch of white paint: shiny white floors and beams, some lacquered white furniture. And I don't think you should be afraid of blocking off the window...If you choose a design that doesn't have a lot of storage, you can create something with a slim profile that will still admit light into the room.

Life in Rehab May 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Is it wrong that I'm always tempted when someone asks for examples of room to send a picture of our fire room, right after the fire? I know, I'm a brat. And I never have given in to temptation.

someone else's words

"Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others." - Buddha

© Thanks to Ourblogtemplates.com for providing a great Blogger framework to remix. Hope you don't mind the changes I made.