We're trying out a bunch of new recipes in 2010, and we are sharing the best of the best here.
Nicole's chicken and wild rice soup
We got this recipe from our friend Nicole, and it's amazing. If you like chunky and thick, satisfying, rich, comfort soup - then this is the soup for you.
1 pound chicken (cut into small pieces)
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1 box Uncle Ben's Wild Rice, cooked according to package
1 cup half and half cream
2 tablespoons sherry
- Cook chicken and set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Saute onion until tender.
- Blend in flour and then gradually stir in chicken broth.
- Stir in salt, carrots, and cooked rice.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend in half and half cream and sherry. Simmer for additional 5-10 minutes.
And then it becomes yum.
You will love this soup. Just try it. And thanks, Nicole!
EDIT: We made this a second time and used less butter just to experiment. We did the same recipe with only one tablespoon butter and we added a bit of corn starch to thicken it up. It was also very delicious and a little less rich. So you can try that one for a slightly lower calorie version with still tons of flavor.