Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I punched clutter in its stupid face (part I)

This is how I keep order in our house.

1. Analyze clutter. What are the problem areas?
  2. Create a system for each type of clutter. Everything needs a system.
  3. If you bring something into your house, it needs a home. A place. If it doesn't have a place, you need to make one or get rid of something else.
This is what I mean by system. If you enter your house and you've made it EASY to toss the mail into your designated mail area, you are more likely to do that instead of just tossing it on some free counter space or the couch.

This is our designated mail sorting area.

Don't worry - that kitchen wall paper trim will be going away.

One box is for magazines and catalogs. The other is for mail that needs to be sorted or shredded or just kept handy for a while. The boxes had lids, so the clutter can be easily hidden away when we have company.

Here's another view. I put mail that needs our attention (bills to pay, etc.) at the front of the box.

The next shelf has some boxes that I use for storing shopping receipts. They aren't filed. I just put the most recent ones on top.

There's also an accordion style expanding folder. I use this for sorted mail. There's a slot for each month. We file away our paid bills and statements according to month.

On the bottom row, I have a basket that we throw our hats, gloves, and scarves into. Since our house doesn't have a mud room area, this works nicely for keeping our winter accessories in one place.

2010. The year of organization. More to come.

7 comments:

Kelly@TearingUpHouses January 6, 2010 at 11:17 AM

The title of this post cracked me up!

I have that Ikea pot, by the way! Love the color.

Kelly

micah @ the yellow front door January 6, 2010 at 5:43 PM

I like your system for organizing mail. Our mail ends up all over the place, ugh!

Amanda January 6, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I looove organization! Great system you've got there. You're right, it is too easy to just toss the mail everywhere when you don't have a spot for it.

Kati @ Obscured Flair- January 7, 2010 at 7:35 PM

wow, you are super organized! I like your organizing system for the mail, very cute!!

faerie_bel January 8, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Very inspirational. Our mail ends up on the kitchen counter taking up precious space! I need a new system.

Anonymous January 15, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Have I said I love your blog?! It's great. Great filing system. We don't have a "place" but we do have a system. Mail gets sorted and (most) recycled as soon as it's brought into the house. Bills do have a place, but EVERYTHING else (ads, junk mail, weekly city newspapers, etc) gets recyled immediately! For us, that's the key. Less than three minutes takes care of the mail every day!
LauraC

Jessica July 1, 2010 at 5:01 PM

That is EXACTLY the solution we need. Right now we throw all our mail, pay stubs, etc in a see through wire basket which is on the end of the kitchen counter. We don't go through it nearly enough (because the file box isn't conveniently located, another problem) so it ends up being a filled cluttered eye sore. Where did you get the cart?

someone else's words

"Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others." - Buddha

© Thanks to Ourblogtemplates.com for providing a great Blogger framework to remix. Hope you don't mind the changes I made.