Rob and I just wrapped up our first real vacation as a married couple. We had a great time! We stayed with my sister-in-law Rachel and her boyfriend Jason in Palo Alto.
A few highlights:
- We saved more than $90 by not parking out car at the airport. Instead we walked a half mile to the bus stop, took the bus to downtown, took the light-rail to the airport. Cost = $2.25 each.
- By packing light, we were able to take only carry on bags. This saved us tons of time and no stress worrying about our luggage getting lost.
- California is fun to visit, but it requires a lot of driving. I am glad to be home.
Day 1 - Wednesday
- Bus to downtown. Lightrail to airport. Fly to Chicago.
- Two hour layover in Chicago.
- Fly to San Francisco.
- Meet Rachel at the airport. Drive to Palo Alto.
- Drop off bags. Head to grocery and beer stores.
- Drink a few and get caught up with Rachel and Jason.
- Take train to San Fran.
- Walk around Market Street a while. Get lunch at John's Grill.
- Take the trolley to Fisherman's Wharf.
- Check out the sea lions, Alcatraz, and the Ghiradelli Chocolate place.
- Meet Rachel in Chinatown.
- Go to the Rogue Brew Pub for dinner and drinks.
- Bay Bridge
- Drive to Napa Valley
- Explore downtown Napa, check out some antique shops, eat at Gillwoods Cafe
- Head to Berginer Vineyards for winery tour.
- Drive back to Palo Alto. Pick up Krung Thai and a bottle of Louis Jadot Pinot Noir.
- Drive to mall at San Jose for some shopping.
- Tour Winchester Mystery House.
- Attend Rachel's bday/Earth Day/welcome Rob and Kristi to California party with delicious home brews by Slaughterhouse 7.
- Head to the beach at Santa Cruz.
- Explore downtown Santa Cruz.
- Order pizza, watch movie, play board games.
- Eat lunch at Taqueria in Palo Alto.
- Drive to Santa Cruz. Tour Mystery Spot. Take hilarious pictures.
- Drive to Monterey. Visit Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- Buy fresh oysters for Rob at Sea Harvest Fish Market.
- Drive back to Santa Cruz. Get food and drinks at 99 Bottles.
- Repeat Day 1 in reverse order
There you have it. Whew.
And if you don't feel like clicking through every one of the Picasa albums linked above, here's a few of my personal favorites: